It seems us Brits are a sentimental bunch who really do think the best things in life are free. Popping bubble wrap, receiving a compliment and having a cuddle have all been named in a new list of Brits’ 50 favourite feel good moments.
Other popular suggestions include a hug from your child, sleeping in clean sheets, feeling sand between your toes, and smelling sea air – with the list being topped by walking in sunshine.
Sophia Davis, one of the UK’s leading life coaches who helped compile the research, said: “It’s been interesting to see what came out on top from the go ahead! research; a lot of what makes us feel good is often based in nature.
“It’s no surprise walking in sunshine was the nation’s number one feel good feeling, as sitting outside in the sun gives us vitamin D and boosts levels of serotonin, the body’s natural happy hormone.
Similarly with hugging – it instantly boosts oxytocin levels, healing feelings of loneliness, isolation and anger.”
The research by also revealed that:
- 44% of Brits would choose their partner as the person who’d cheer them up the most.
- Around a quarter (24%) would be happier receiving a hug from a loved one than receiving £100.
- 1 in 3 (33%) of us smile three to five times a day because of simple, free pleasures.
- Three quarters (76%) of women said receiving flowers make them feel good – they’re also twice as likely to feel good after someone compliments their clothing than men are (62% vs 30%).
Here's the full 50 Feel Good Moments list:
1. Walking in sunshine
2. Getting into fresh bed sheets
3. Going on a walk in the countryside
4. Someone saying they like what you’re wearing
5. The smell of sea air
6. Receiving flowers
7. Someone pulling out of a space in a busy car park just as you arrive
8. Having a cuddle
9. A kiss from your partner
10. Laughing so much it hurts
11. Getting ready to go on holiday
12. Walking barefoot on sand
13. A hug from your child
14. Listening to your favourite song
15. Listening to the rain
16. Smell of freshly cut grass
17. A smile from a baby
18. Putting on your favourite item of clothing
19. Singing along to favourite songs in the car
20. A lie in on a Sunday morning
21. Exploring somewhere new, like a new town or city
22. A pint in a beer garden on a summer’s day
23. A smile from someone after you’ve given them your seat on public transport
24. Bird song
25. A surprise phone call from an old friend
26. Being licked by a puppy
27. Someone noticing you’ve had a haircut
28. The smell of a fresh book
29. Someone making you a cup of tea unexpectedly
30. Making a cat purr
31. Kicking up leaves
32. Drinking fresh juice
33. Doing exercise
34. Being sent a photo of a loved one
35. Throwing a stick or ball for a dog
36. Watching your favourite scene from a movie
37. Your partner massaging your feet
38. Being sent a handwritten letter
39. Playing with bubble wrap
40. Putting money in a charity collection tin
41. Tidying your room
42. A phone call from your mum
43. Happening upon a favourite film reshowing on TV while channel hopping
44. Someone ‘liking’ your comment or status on Facebook
45. Turning off mobile phones for an afternoon and spending uninterrupted time with close family
46. Dancing on your own in your room
47. Making a daisy chain
48. An empty work email inbox
49. Finding something new about yourself e.g. the ability to roll your tongue
50. Reading celebrity gossip