14/08/2014 16:57 BST | Updated 20/05/2015 10:12 BST

Baby Died Of Meningitis 12 Hours After Being Sent Home From Hospital With Calpol

Bottle Of Calpol And Dosage Spoon

A five-month-old baby died of meningitis - just 12 hours after she was sent home from hospital with Calpol.

Leah Carroll fell ill on Friday and died in her mother's arms the following day.

Her heartbroken mum Tanya has warned parents of how quickly the disease can kill.

Tanya, 23, from East Calder, West Lothian. told the Daily Record: "It just happens so fast. And there is nothing you can do."

Leah had just celebrated her first Christmas and was spoiled by her parents and family including grandmother Sandra Yeats, 53.

On Friday night, Sandra babysat so Tanya and Robert could go to a birthday party - but soon after they returned Leah became seriously unwell.

Tanya said: "About 11.30pm she started tensing, shaking and she became roasting hot but her feet and hands were cold.

"I called NHS24 and was given an appointment at St John's Hospital (in Livingstone) but we had to wait over an hour.

"She had a rash of around ten spots on her tummy and shoulder but that didn't seem to concern the medics.

"I'd a gut instinct that a temperature that high, with her previous condition, was dangerous.

"But they gave her Calpol and Ibuprofen and didn't seem to make an issue of the rash.

"They sent her home because she woke up after a feed bottle and laughed and smiled.

"The doctor and nurses said she was back to normal and sent us home about 3am. We were told to give her the Ibuprofen and to keep giving her Calpol."

After Leah was violently sick at around 7am, Tanya called the children's ward again and was told to return to St John's.

When she and Leah's dad, Robert Carroll, 21, got to the hospital a nurse noticed the rash had spread after removing Leah from a fluffy cover she was wrapped in.

Doctors immediately put Leah on antibiotics while an emergency team from the Sick Kids Hospital in Edinburgh raced to St John's.

Tanya said: "About 2,40pm, Robert and I were allowed in. We spent her last moments together before she died at 3.25pm."

Read more: Meningitis symptoms in young children