‘Strictly Come Dancing’ contestant Scott Mills has admitted that he’s a little apprehensive about his impending stint on the show, after he seemed to have been a bit of a jinx for the contestants in last year’s series.
On a number of occasions during last year’s ‘Strictly’, the Radio 1 DJ would publicly lend his support to one of the contestants on his radio show, only for them to go home the following week.
Speaking to HuffPost UK at this year’s ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ launch in London, Scott joked: “I backed Deborah Meaden and then she went out, then I backed Rachel Riley and then she went out, and then Susanna Reid… so that didn’t go well. So I was the curse of ‘Strictly’ last year.
“I hope it hasn’t continued onto me. I can’t really back myself, so I should be alright.”
He also said that his colleagues at Radio 1, including Nick Grimshaw and Fearne Cotton, are supporting him in the competition, adding: “Fearne just came back from Ibiza and she obviously hadn’t heard, so she texted me the other day when I was in the supermarket going, ‘oh my God’. She says she’ll be there.”
Scott is one of 15 contestants, including Mark Wright, Frankie Bridge and former ‘Xtra Factor’ presenter Caroline Flack, taking part in this year’s ‘Strictly Come Dancing’, which kicks off on Sunday, 21 September.
He confirmed his spot on the show live on Radio 1 last month, during an interview with ‘Strictly’ judge Craig Revel Horwood.