Let’s face it, the ‘X Factor’ judges have been known to be pretty laissez-faire when it comes to their song choices during themed weeks (who could forget ‘Gummo’-gate?), but for this weekend’s ‘I Love The 80s’ theme the judges have really taken the biscuit, with the inclusion of not one but two songs from the 1970s.
MORE ‘X FACTOR’:
“Oh,” we hear you cry, “But if the songs are from the late 1970s, surely that’s OK?”
Well, yes, if they included a couple of cheeky numbers from 1979 in ‘80s week’, we suppose we could overlook it. But this is not the case at all, with two of the contestants tackling tracks recorded in 1971.
Ben Haenow, who will be performing John Lennon’s ‘Jealous Guy’, can be slightly overlooked, as that song wasn’t released as a single until years after his death in 1985, having been first featured on his ‘Imagine’ album over a decade earlier.
Lola Saunders, on the other hand, is performing one of Lennon’s signature tunes, ‘Imagine’, which… well, yes, it was a hit again following his death in 1980, but come on!
Meanwhile, a number of songs that actually are from the decade of leg-warmers and perms will actually get the ‘X Factor’ treatment this weekend, with Chloe Jasmine taking on the title track from ‘Fame’ (pretty appropriate, really, given she’s already been on telly once this week, in a documentary about people who can’t control their spending).
After bringing last week’s live show to a halt with his showstopping rendition of ‘Earth Song’, Andrea Faustini will no doubt bring the house down yet again with his take on Whitney Houston’s ‘One Moment In Time’, while Only The Young will be serving up a big ol’ slab of cheese with their version of ‘Come On Eileen’.
Check out the full list of what the remaining acts will be performing below…
- Andrea Faustini - ‘One Moment In Time’
- Ben Haenow - ‘Jealous Guy’
- Chloe Jasmine - ‘Fame’
- Fleur East - ‘It’s A Shame’
- Jack Walton - ‘Straight Up’
- Jake Quickenden - ‘Total Eclipse of the Heart’
- Jay James - I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)
- Lauren Platt - Flashdance (What A Feeling)
- Lola Saunders - ‘Imagine’
- Only The Young - ‘Come On Eileen’
- Paul Akister - ‘If You Don’t Know Me By Now’
- Stephanie Nala - ‘Call Me’
- Stereo Kicks - ‘Boys Of Summer’
- Stevi Ritchie - Never Gonna Give You Up