The colander - humble, intentionally leaky kitchen appliance and strainer of foodstuffs.
But today - 20 March 2015 - the colander came into it's own.
Today, thousands of people took their colanders and used them for a purpose it's (unknown) inventor could never have anticipated.
To look at the sun.
— Emma Greenwood (@emmajgreenwood) March 20, 2015
Instead of an eclipse I'm watching a woman piss about with a colander #eclipse2015— Sam Doherty (@kingcommie) March 20, 2015
What a sight to be sure.
Just walked up a bank in Yorkshire with a colander. Crows cawing.#eclipse2015— Nicola Jackson (@NicolaMJackson) March 20, 2015
Other mundane objects like this tray desperately tried to get in on the act.
— Radio Lincolnshire (@BBCRadioLincs) March 20, 2015
Hundreds projected the hypnotic pattern onto a sheet of paper.
Seriously, it was riveting...
Even Vanessa Feltz got in on the act.
Some people didn't quite get it right though...
And others were thwarted...
Went to get the colander out. It's in the dishwasher. #eclipse2015— The Robot Lady (@DeborahInstall) March 20, 2015
I think my colander is faulty. #eclipse2015— Horace Camp (@oldfarmhorace) March 20, 2015
But others let nothing stand in their way.
Some colanders went beyond the call of duty, even on a day when so much was already expected.
But generally, confusion reigned...
We're not sure @XFM newsreader Matt Dyson has quite got the hang of how to safely use his colander...March 20, 2015
And to end, check out these two cuties...
I think the neighbours went a bit overboard with their eye protectionMarch 20, 2015
- Solar Eclipse 2015 Pictures, Livestream And Twitter Reaction
- Solar Eclipse Pictures: Best Images From Around The UK
- Could Bad Weather Cloud Our View Of The Sun?
- Solar Eclipse Glasses Won't Save You From The 'Day Of Judgement', Warn Pastors
- Fake Solar Eclipse 2015 Pictures: Don't Be Fooled
- International Space Station Solar Eclipse Picture ISN'T Real, That Hasn't Stopped Twitter
- 13 People Who Thought The Solar Eclipse Was Utterly Rubbish