The 36-year-old Streatham MP said he believed Labour could win power in five years' time, adding: "I want to lead that effort as part of a really big Labour team, getting Labour back into office."
Umunna, the shadow business secretary, has been increasingly prominent in the Labour party despite only entering politics in 2008, and has been tipped as "Britain's first black prime minister."
Here are 12 things about the would-be party leader:
Who is Chuka Umunna?
- Labour Party Leadership Now A Battle Between Left And Right, Old And New
- David Miliband Rules Himself Out Of *This* Labour Leadership Election
- Dan Jarvis Rules Himself Out Of Labour Leadership Contest
- Angela Eagle 'Considering' Labour Leadership Bid
- Labour Knew They Were Behind Before The General Election, Says Miliband's Pollster
- COMEDY: Who Will Be The Next Labour And Lib Dem Leaders? We Look At The Contenders