Only two of 10 men supposedly jailed for the attempted assassination of teenage activist Malala Yousafzai have actually been convicted during the secret trial, it has been alleged.
The Mirror newspaper said eight men escaped justice following the court case, despite all 10 supposedly being given a 25-year sentence.
A senior security source in Pakistan accused officials of lying over the trial and convictions and claimed the eight were released "quietly, to avoid a media fuss".
The source told the newspaper: "The trial had absolutely no credibility as nobody was there to witness it but a public prosecutor, a judge, the army and the accused.
"This was a tactic to get the media pressure away from the Malala case because the whole world wanted convictions for the crime."
Malala was shot in the head by the Pakistani Taliban in the Swat Valley on October 9 2012 for advocating education for women.
The 17-year-old won world acclaim for her campaign and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last year.
Pakistan's military arrested the men last year.
Malala was initially treated in Pakistan, but was later flown to a hospital in Britain, where she now lives with her family.
Public prosecutor Sayed Naeem said in April that each defendant got 25 years in jail.
He said: "It is life in prison for the 10 militants who were tried by an anti-terrorist court."
A spokesman for Malala was unavailable for comment.