NEWS
18/06/2015 06:14 BST | Updated 18/06/2015 06:59 BST

Man In Court Charged With Child Destruction After Attack On Heavily Pregnant Woman Malorie Bantala

A man is due in court Thursday charged with child destruction after an "abhorrent and vile" attack on a heavily-pregnant woman.

Malorie Bantala, 21, who was 32 weeks' pregnant, lost her unborn child and remains in a critical condition after the assault near her home in Peckham, south east London, on Monday night.

Kevin Wilson, 20, of Longfield Estate, south east London, is due to appear at Camberwell Green Magistrates Court where he will also face a charge of grievous bodily harm with intent.

Malorie Bantala, 21, remains in a critical condition after being attacked by two men in Peckham which caused her to lose her unborn child

Meanwhile, London Ambulance Service has apologised after admitting police were forced to take Miss Bantala to hospital themselves after they failed to arrive an hour and 10 minutes after being called.

A spokeswoman said the service was "sorry we were unable to send an ambulance before we were cancelled by the police" and was now "looking into the circumstances of what happened".

The spokeswoman said the first 999 call from a member of the public was assessed to be a "lower priority call" - or a category C call.

Miss Bantala's mother Ida, 49, who was called to the scene by members of public, told the Daily Mail: "If you see your daughter like that, it's awful. Words can't explain it."

She said her daughter had been excited about having the baby.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for Miss Bantala in the hope of raising £30,000 to help "towards the cost of her needs at this time of difficulty".

The fundraising page goes on to say: "No amount of money can compensate for the damage caused. The £30,000 is a suggested amount in kind and designed to be used how Malorie Bantala wishes. Whether to facilitate the process of recovery, contribute towards the cost of provisions, or to aid a dream."

A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money to help Miss Bantala recover from the attack

A petition has been also been started on Change.Org calling for the law around intentionally killing an unborn child to be changed.

It wants the charge to be changed from child destruction to murder in deaths involving infants of more than 28 weeks gestation. So far is has gathered 203 signatures.

SEE ALSO

First Picture Of Boy Found Dead In Cemetery, As Police Reveal They Are Holding Teenager On Suspicion Of Murder

Child Sexual Offences Risen By A Third In A Year, NSPCC Finds

Charleston Church Shooting Which Left Nine Dead Is A 'Hate Crime', Police Say

Police said Miss Bantala was pushed to the ground by two men wearing motorcycle helmets who kicked and stamped on her stomach.

Detective Chief Inspector Robert Pack from the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: "This was a truly abhorrent and vile attack on a heavily-pregnant woman who has now, tragically, lost her baby."

A number of people heard screams and witnessed the attack outside a converted pub and rushed to the woman's aid after the men fled.

Officers gave first aid at the scene before she was taken to hospital.

Mr Pack said Miss Bantala had managed to provide an account of the attack to officers.

A motorcycle has not been recovered by police and it was possible the attackers were wearing helmets as a disguise, he said.

Police are still appealing for witnesses and information on the suspects.

Mr Pack added: "I have absolutely no doubt that someone out there has either heard something, or overheard something, or had someone confide in them."