Alexia Walenkaki, 5, Killed After Tree Collapses While She Played On Swing In London Park

A five-year-old girl died after a tree attached to a swing in a children's play area fell on top of her.

Alexia Walenkaki was playing in the London park with her mother nearby when the tragedy happened on Friday afternoon.

The young girl sustained severe head injuries and suffered a cardiac arrest. She was later pronounced dead in hospital.

Alexia Walenkaki

On Monday, her family spoke of their devastation of what took place in the Mile End Park.

Alexia's mother, Vida Kwotuah, told the Evening Standard that her daughter was playing with other children.

Her mother said they would be leaving in 15 minutes and told Alexia not to go far.

The mother-of-two, from Poplar, continued: "She said ‘ok mummy' and ran back towards the play area. She loved being at the park, we went around five times a week.

“I was watching her every move, I sat where I could see her and keep an eye on her. All of a sudden I see this log falling down and I started screaming.”

Police were called at about 5.30pm and attended the scene with paramedics.

She was taken to hospital but was pronounced dead about an hour later.

The area was cordoned off by investigators following the incident.

Alexia, who was a pupil at Stepney Greencoat Church of England Primary School, would have celebrated her sixth birthday on Saturday.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed that officers believe a tree fell on the girl.

Mile End neighbourhood policing team offered their condolences to Alexia's family, and asked that any speculation that this was a violent attack desist.

The Mirror Online reported Ms Kwotuah paying tribute to her daughter.

She said: "Alexia was full of life. Everyone who saw her fell in love with her. She was really bright and sociable and very independent.

"I just feel the void. It's not something I want any parent to go through."

A post-mortem examination is due to take place Wednesday and a joint investigation has been launched by the Met Police and the Health and Safety Executive.

The council has closed the play area "until further notice".

Flowers have been laid at the gates to the park following the terrible accident.