09/08/2015 14:09 BST | Updated 09/08/2016 06:12 BST

Murder Probe After Teenager Dies In South London

Detectives have launched a murder investigation after a 17-year-old boy died of head injuries in south London.

Police were called to reports of a fight last night and arrived to find the teenager lying in the road.

Uniformed police and paramedics battled to save his life by the curbside in Flaxman Road near Loughborough Junction in south London, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Neighbours in the residential street reported hearing "loud bangs" they thought were gunshots at around 9pm last night and seeing police on the scene.

One woman, who asked not to be named, said: "I heard gunshots. I thought they were fireworks at first, then I heard it two more times.

"I heard big bangs - really loud. There was a party going on and we thought it was fireworks from the party.

"I came out and saw the police."

She added: "A couple of my friends know the guy who died, he was just unfortunate really. He wasn't at the party. I think he lives in the area, but I don't know him personally.

"My friends are pretty upset."

Another woman who lives in the street with her teenage daughter said she arrived back at around 10pm last night to find it cordoned off by police and a forensics tent up.

She was allowed back home in the early hours of the morning and found bloodstains on the road.

She said: "It happened near my front door, but I don't know him.

"This morning when I opened my door I saw the blood everywhere. It is just so awful what happened. I cried."

Scotland Yard said it was not aware of any shots being fired during the incident.

Today a section of the road has been cordoned off with blue and white police tape. A uniformed officer is a standing guard at either end and only allowing residents to pass in and out.

Scotland Yard said his next of kin have been informed but they are awaiting formal identification.

A post-mortem examination is due to be held at Greenwich Mortuary.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 020 8721 4054 or via 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

No arrests have been made yet.