David Bowie fans are mourning the loss of an icon today (Monday 11 January), after it was announced that the singer had died following an 18-month battle with cancer.
- David Bowie Has Died, Aged 69
- Stars Pay Tribute To The Late David Bowie
- 69 Beautiful And Rare Pictures Of The Late, Great David Bowie
- 10 Moments That Sealed Forever David Bowie's Iconic Status
- This Stunning Bowie GIF Has Really Resonated With Fans
- This Website Shows You What Bowie Was Doing At Your Age
- David Bowie's 10 Biggest Reinventions
- 19 Times David Bowie Looked Cooler Than You
- Bowie's Final Music Video Feels So Much More Poignant Now
Many took to social media to pay tribute to the late star, but there seemed to be one particular image that resonated with his fans.
This beautiful series of illustrations showing David through the years in his many guises in GIF form, went viral in the hours after the news broke.
UK artist Helen Green made the illustrations last year, but was surprised to see them original circulating again last week, in celebration of David’s 69th birthday on Friday (8 January).
Helen, who regularly makes David Bowie art each year for his birthday, shared a new illustration with fans last week, writing on Facebook: “Working on perhaps my most cheerful David Bowie pattern to date. Happy 69th Birthday to the Thin White Duke himself! Can't wait to listen to the new album.
“It's amazing to see the Bowie GIF still travelling around a year later - enormous thanks to everyone who shared/shares it! x.”
Upon learning of his death, she tweeted:
News of David’s death was announced by his publicist, with a note on his official website, which read: "David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief."
His film director son Duncan Jones later shared a very poignant photo of him as a child with his father on Twitter, writing: “Very sorry and sad to say it's true. I'll be offline for a while. Love to all.”