The chef, who announced his departure from the show earlier this week, claimed that budget cuts had meant less guests were invited on to appear, and the studio was left without running water.
Speaking on his new cookery tour, Plates, Mates & Automobiles, James joked that he was off the leash after quitting and could finally reveal the truth about ‘Saturday Kitchen’.
Asked why members of the public no longer joined him and other star guests on the show, The Mirror quotes him as saying: “That wasn’t my decision. I liked having the studio guests. It was the BBC’s decision.”
Throwing his hands in the air, he added: “Budget cuts... and don’t look at me, I didn’t get a pay rise.”
James also claimed that the sink on the set hadn’t had worked for two years, and that he would have to pretend to wash his hands.
The TV chef will host his last ‘Saturday Kitchen’ next month, after quitting to concentrate on other projects.
He said in a statement: “I would like to personally thank all the viewers for turning 'Saturday Kitchen' into a three million-plus smash hit. I could not have done it without them,” he said in a statement.
“I would also like to thank the BBC and ‘Saturday Kitchen’ for the great opportunity they gave me. It has been an amazing journey and I have been privileged to work with some of the world’s greatest chefs and some of the greatest names in showbiz.”
James later claimed that he wanted his weekends back, after fronting the show for 10 years.
He told Radio 2: “You know, 10 years of working every weekend with the same team [is hard].
“The BBC have been great with me about it, they understand. Ten years is a long time. And for a chef as well you're giving up your Fridays as well."
Guest presenters will front ‘Saturday Kitchen’ from April until a new host is found, while James will continue to be seen on ‘Saturday Kitchen Best Bites’ on BBC Two on Sunday mornings.