20/05/2016 20:49 BST | Updated 21/05/2017 06:12 BST

Posthumous Honour For Pc Dave Phillips Who Was Killed By Car Thief

A police officer run down by a teenage car thief has been posthumously honoured with a Freedom of the Borough award.

Hundreds of people flocked to town halls across Wirral, Merseyside, to pay their respects to Pc Dave Phillips last October and sign books of condolence.

The married father-of-two was killed as he set down a tyre-puncturing stinger device in a bid to stop a stolen Mitsubishi truck during a police pursuit in Wallasey.

Pc Phillips, 34, was well known in the local community and worked closely with Wirral Council and other organisations to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour.

His widow Jen, 29, the couple's two daughters, seven-year-old Abigail and Sophie, three, his father Robin and mother Carol were among those in attendance as Pc Phillips was honoured with the council's highest award as a tribute to his "professionalism and kindness" at a ceremony at Wallasey Town Hall.

Mayor of Wirral Pat Hackett, said Pc Phillips is one of just 13 people to receive the honour in 42 years.

He said: "The sad events of last year touched everyone in Wirral and countless others far beyond. Huge numbers of people queued and waited patiently to pay their respects here in Wallasey and at Birkenhead Town Halls - which is testament to the depth of feeling for your loss.

'Those queues - and this ceremony - also demonstrated the gratitude we all feel towards Pc Phillips for dedicating his life to keeping others safe."

Merseyside's police commissioner Jane Kennedy said: "I am honoured to be among the people invited to see Jen Phillips collect these awards on behalf of her husband Pc David Phillips. Constable 6554 David Phillips grew up in the Wirral and joined his local force, Merseyside Police, to serve the people of his local community.

"He joined because he wanted to help keep the people of the Wirral safe, including his beloved wife and daughters. Pc Phillips made the ultimate sacrifice in his commitment to his community and I can think of no-one more deserving of this, the Borough's highest recognition."

In March Clayton Williams, 19, was locked up for 20 years after he was convicted of the officer's manslaughter.

In emotional scenes at Manchester Crown Court, Mrs Phillips directly addressed the defendant in the dock and told him he had plunged her and her daughters into "a living hell".