09/08/2016 10:35 BST | Updated 10/08/2017 06:12 BST

Three Seriously Injured As House Collapses In Blast

Three people have suffered serious injuries after an explosion destroyed a terraced house.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service was called to the property in Curzon Road, Ashton under-Lyne, at around 5am on Tuesday and arrived to find the front and back of the building had collapsed.

Incident commander at the scene Alan Ashworth said the number of casualties had risen to "at least 10".

He told reporters: "We are concerned for three of these casualties; some of them do have quite severe lacerations and burns."

Mr Ashworth said a man, woman and their adult daughter lived at the property - which has been left in ruins following the early-morning blast.

"We don't have full details of the casualties, but we now know three people were inside the property at the time of the explosion," he said.

"We don't yet know the cause of the explosion and our fire investigation team are at the scene working with the police."

Mr Ashworth said they were called to reports of a house fire, but while en route to the incident it was revealed there was an explosion.

It is understood neighbours came to the aid of those trapped in the property and that a number of those injured were rescuers trying to help.

He said: "It is fantastic that people at five o'clock in the morning - that people have come to help," he added.

"But that has increased the number of casualties which has presented a further issue for the ambulance service and hospital."

Six fire engines were deployed to the scene and gas and electricity supplies were turned off at the house and four neighbouring properties.

Curzon Road, Whiteacre Road and Clinton Street are all closed and people are asked to avoid the area if possible.

A woman called Leanne claiming to be one of the daughters of the man and woman who live at the house said she was in bed when she heard the explosion. She said she saw a house on fire but thought it was next door to her parents' home.

"People came over and told me it was my mum and dad's. So I came out of the house, come over the road to where they was because they managed to get out, just to make sure they were all right."

Without revealing details she said two people escaped the blaze by jumping out of the window and one from the roof.

She added: "All I know is that they are stable."

Leanne said her sister also lived at the property.