19/06/2017 06:49 BST | Updated 19/06/2017 06:49 BST

Finsbury Park Attack: One Dead As Van Ploughs Into Muslim Worshippers After Midnight Prayers

London van attack leaves one dead near Muslim mosque

One person has been killed after a van ploughed into Muslim worshippers in north London, with police treating the incident as terrorism.

A further ten people were injured as people left the Muslim Welfare House on Seven Sisters Road in Finsbury Park, close to the mosque in the area, after midnight prayers during Ramadan. Eight people have been taken to hospital.

Police confirmed the 48-year-old driver of the van was detained by members of public at the scene and then arrested by police.

Despite reports of a knife attack, the Met said there were no reports of anyone suffering knife injuries.

The investigation of the incident is being carried out by the Counter Terrorism Command.

Prime Minister Theresa May said police are treating the van incident near Finsbury Park "as a potential terrorist attack", adding: "I will chair an emergency meeting later this morning. All my thoughts are with the victims, their families and the emergency services on the scene."

One person has been arrested and a HuffPost UK reporter witnessed police detaining a second person several hours after the collision. Authorities declined to comment on the reason for the arrest.

One eyewitness told HuffPost UK (above) before the police confirmation: "Here we have someone who drove into Muslims knowing well this is the finishing time of prayer. Driving in to Muslims deliberately. We know this is a terrorist attack."

"If it was somebody with a beard wearing a different type of clothes, you would be calling it terrorism," one local man told the BBC's Nick Robinson. "Our concern is you are the press you should speak the truth."

Another man said witnesses said they saw three people in the vehicle, though police later said no other suspects at the scene have been identified.

Cynthia Vanzella, a woman who lives near the scene, told CNN she heard the collision from her home and went to a window to see people "desperately trying to make some signs to a police car".

"I saw a lot of people injured," she said. "They were helping on the pavement and trying to help them to get to the scene."

The chairman of the mosque, Mohammed Kozbar, described the incident as a "cowardly attack" and said there were many injuries.

Britain's terrorist alert has been set at "severe" meaning an attack is highly likely.

Earlier this month, a van veered into pedestrians on London Bridge, setting off vehicle and knife attacks that killed eight people and wounded many others on the bridge and in the nearby Borough Market area.

Three Muslim extremists who carried out the attack were killed by police.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said his "thoughts are with the community affected by this awful event".