12/11/2018 10:46 GMT | Updated 12/11/2018 10:47 GMT

Australian Strawberry Needle Suspect 'Motivated By Spite Or Revenge', Court Hears

A 50-year-old woman has been arrested following a nationwide investigation.

Workers sort strawberries (file photo) 

My Ut Trinh, a former strawberry farm supervisor, retaliated over a workplace grievance by putting needles into the fruit, a court has heard. 

The 50-year-old was arrested on seven counts of contaminating the goods at the weekend, after a high-profile nationwide police investigation into sewing needles being inserted into the berries before they were sold.

While no injuries were reported from the needles, the crisis escalated to six states and neighbouring New Zealand.

Australia’s multi-million-pound strawberry industry suffered major financial losses, with fruit recalled from supermarket shelves and destroyed.

Major food distributors in New Zealand removed Australian strawberries from stores.

Magistrate Christine Roney said that while prosecutors were alleging My Ut Trinh was “motivated by spite or revenge” she would not consider granting bail for the woman until the reasons for her actions became clearer.

State Crime Command Superintendent Jon Wacker told reporters before the court hearing that 230 incidents were reported nationwide, impacting 68 strawberry brands.

The scare was concentrated in Queensland state, where 77 incidents were reported, with 15 of them believed to be hoaxes or false complaints.

Trinh, 50, was the first person arrested and could face up to 10 years in jail if convicted.

A Vietnamese refugee who arrived by boat two decades ago and became an Australian citizen, Trinh was working as a supervisor of fruit pickers at the Berrylicious strawberry farm near Caboolture, north of Brisbane, when she allegedly inserted needles into the fruit between 2 and 5 September, the court was told.

Prosecutor Cheryl Tesch said it would be alleged in court that DNA matching Trinh’s was found on one of the needles discovered in a strawberry.

Trinh’s lawyer Michael Cridland withdrew a bail application, but said his client was not an unacceptable flight risk. She was remanded in custody until November 22.

A police investigation into the broader crisis is continuing.