Box braids are the quintessential hairstyle for women who need versatility.
Defined by its “boxy” or square-shaped hair parts, this individual braided hairstyle has been a go-to for black women for many years. Famous faces, including Brandy, Patra, Janet Jackson, Solange and Zoë Kravitz, have all made the look even more popular.
Box braids are so appealing because they are low maintenance, can be worn in countless styles with or without hair extensions and they work great for those with hair that’s either natural or chemically-straightened. Not to mention, these braids can last for months when properly taken care of, which makes them ideal for any time of year.
Whether you’re currently rocking box braids or considering booking a salon appointment to get this popular ‘do, scroll through the photos below for hairstyle inspiration.
- 1Half-Up, Half-Down TopknotGetty Images
- 2Half-Up, Half-Down TopknotGetty Images
- 3Half-Up, Half-Down TopknotGetty Images
- 4Side-Swept StrandsGetty Images
- 5Side-Swept StrandsGetty Images
- 6Side-Swept StrandsGetty Images
- 7Side-Swept StrandsGetty Images
- 8Center-PartedGetty Images
- 9Center-PartedGetty Images
- 10Long & FlowyGetty Images
- 11Long & FlowyGetty Images
- 12ChignonGetty Images
- 13High PonytailGetty Images
- 14Ballerina BunGetty Images
- 15Ballerina BunGetty Images
- 16Ballerina BunGetty Images
- 17Messy Ballerina BunASSOCIATED PRESS
- 18Fishtail PonytailGetty Images
- 19Faux HawkGetty Images
- 20French Braid UndercutGetty Images
CORRECTION: A previous version of this article misidentified actress Tia Mowry as her sister, Tamera Mowry.
More from HuffPost: