NEWS
12/09/2018 16:38 BST | Updated 12/09/2018 16:40 BST

E.Coli 'Caused Egypt Holiday Deaths' Of British Couple John And Susan Cooper

John and Susan Cooper died on August 21.

Other

A British couple who died on holiday in Egypt were killed by e.coli, the country’s general prosecutor has said.

John Cooper, 69, died suddenly in his room at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel on August 21.

His wife Susan, 63, died hours later after being taken to hospital.

A post-mortem showed the bug was the cause of their deaths.  

The bodies of the couple, from Burnley in Lancashire, were released by Egyptian authorities on Friday.

It comes after tour operator Thomas Cook identified a high level of e.coli bacteria at the hotel in Hurghada after independent tests were carried out on food, water and air.