NEWS
02/10/2018 11:41 BST | Updated 02/10/2018 15:00 BST

Cristiano Ronaldo Rape Investigation Restarted By Police

The probe centres on an incident that allegedly took place in 2009.

Las Vegas police have reopened their investigation into a rape claim against Cristiano Ronaldo, confirming to the Associated Press that the case centres on a 2009 allegation that has been detailed in the press.

Kathryn Mayorga, 34, alleges the footballer raped her in the penthouse suite of a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.

Mayorga is seeking damages from Ronaldo and filed a civil lawsuit last week. She alleges the former Manchester United player dispatched a team of “fixers” to obstruct the criminal investigation and trick her into keeping quiet for $375,000 (£268,000).

The suit says the woman asked police last month to reopen the criminal case.

When contacted by Press Association, Ronaldo’s attorney, Christian Schertz, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment but after a report on the case in Der Spiegel last week, he threatened to sue the German magazine, saying: “It violates the personal rights of our client Cristiano Ronaldo in an exceptionally serious way.”

HuffPost UK has contacted Ronaldo’s representatives for further comment. 

In a smiling Instagram video posted hours after the suit was filed, Ronaldo appeared to deny the allegations, labelling them “fake news”. 

The lawsuit claims Mayorga, who was then 24, went with a friend to the Rain nightclub at the Palms Hotel and Casino on the night of June 12, 2009, and met Ronaldo there.

It says he invited a group of people up to his suite “to enjoy the view of the Las Vegas strip” and then into the hot tub. According to the suit, he then barged in on her as she was changing, exposed himself and asked her for oral sex. When she refused, the lawsuit claims, he raped her.

According to the lawsuit, and confirmed by police spokesman Aden Ocampo-Gomez to the AP, the woman named in the suit reported the attack to police the same day.

Ocampo-Gomez said she also asked for a “sexual assault test” which was performed at the University Medical Centre.

The woman refused to tell police where the assault took place or assist with identifying a suspect other than to say he was a European soccer player, the spokesman said.

“As of now this is an ongoing investigation and no further details are being released at this time,” Ocampo-Gomez said.

The lawsuit claims that the woman’s family arranged for a lawyer “who only had several years of legal experience”.

Negotiations left her with “intrusive thoughts, an increased sense of extreme anxiety and fearfulness, complete helplessness and passivity,” the lawsuit says.

It also reads: “The psychological trauma of the sexual assault, the fear of public humiliation and retaliation and the reiteration of those fears by law enforcement and medical providers left plaintiff terrified and unable to act or advocate for herself.”

The lawsuit also accuses Ronaldo or those working for him of battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, coercion and fraud, abuse of a vulnerable person, racketeering and civil conspiracy, defamation, abuse of process, breach of contract, and negligence for allowing details of the confidential settlement to leak out.

It asks for general damages, special damages, punitive damages and special relief, each in excess of 50,000 (£38,000), along with interest, attorney fees and court costs.