LIFESTYLE
09/03/2018 10:32 GMT | Updated 09/03/2018 10:49 GMT

Mother's Day Flowers Warning: Don't Buy Mum Lilies If She Has A Cat, Says Charity

The flowers can cause kidney failure and, in some cases, prove fatal.

Buying lilies for your mum this Mother’s Day could end in tragedy if she owns a cat, a charity has warned.

Cats Protection said the flowers are “extremely toxic” and can harm cats even if they simply brush past the flower and then groom the pollen from the fur.

“Lilies are one of the most common forms of poisoning in cats and we can’t emphasise enough just how dangerous they can be,” said the charity’s spokesperson Louise Waters. “The toxins can cause them to go into kidney failure and this can be fatal.”

Linda Raymond via Getty Images

Luke Proudfoot, 23, from London nearly lost his young cat Myra when he noticed she had pollen on her nose after brushing past a bunch of lilies. He rushed Myra to the emergency vet where she was immediately put on a drip as she was drowsy and dangerously dehydrated.

“Thankfully she made a full recovery but I would never have bought lilies if I’d have known how deadly they could be,” said Luke. “I think it’s really important that people should be warned not to buy them for cat owners as it would be so awful if you ended up being responsible for the death of their pet.”

Symptoms of poisoning aren’t always obvious. Some of the most common signs are increased thirst, acting confused or uncoordinated, drooling, struggling to breathe, fitting/seizures and vomiting. If a cat exhibits any of these symptoms, Cats Protection advises getting it to a vet as soon as possible for urgent treatment.

Lily poisoning in particular can cause continued vomiting and in extreme cases: blindness, paralysis, renal failure and coma. 

Other flowers that are poisonous for cats include: 

Chrysanthemum

mocca1412 via Getty Images

Sweet pea

Dashabelozerova via Getty Images

Poppy

pidjoe via Getty Images

Peony

IrenaStar via Getty Images

Delphinium 

hawk111 via Getty Images

Cornflower

OttoKrause via Getty Images

Marigold

winlyrung via Getty Images

Daffodil bulbs

 

vofpalabra via Getty Images

Lupin 

schnuddel via Getty Images

Foxglove

itsabreeze photography via Getty Images

Iris

kiyanochka via Getty Images

Snowdrop

Nickola Beck via Getty Images

Wisteria

Ekely via Getty Images

Plants such as umbrella plants, rubber plants, ferns, ivy, Christmas plants, poinsettia, holly and mistletoe are also dangerous.

If you suspect your cat has been poisoned by eating any of the above, try to find evidence of what your cat has eaten and take a sample to the vet - along with your cat - immediately. Even a sample of vomit may help diagnosis, particularly if it is an unusual colour or contains plant matter.

Do not wait for symptoms or assume they’ll go away. Equally, don’t try to make your cat vomit or feed them salt water.