What is it like to be HIV-positive in 2015?
We've come a long way as far as HIV treatment and prevention is concerned. However, stigma is still alive and well -- as can easily be seen by the media panic surrounding Charlie Sheen coming out as HIV-positive just last month.
In order to combat discrimination and stigma against individuals living with HIV, the annual "A Day With HIV" campaign asked people of all HIV statuses around the world to submit photos of themselves that captured moments from their lives on Sept. 22, 2015.
This annual campaign provides a unique opportunity for individuals to utilize visual storytelling about their lives -- no matter what their HIV status -- to raise awareness about the realities of living in a world with HIV and "tackle misperceptions, stigma, and discrimination and break down barriers to HIV prevention, testing, and care."
Over 200 people uploaded photos to the "A Day with HIV" website and dozens more posted to social media with the hashtag #adaywithhiv.
We thought today, Worlds AIDS Day, was the perfect time to share some photos from "A Day With HIV" to help us remember how far we've come, how far we have to go and all of those who have battled against -- and are surviving -- HIV.
- 6:00 AM: PASADENA, CALIFORNIACharles McPeak
- 8:04 AM: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLICCourtesy of Michael
- 10:02 AM: CHICAGO, ILLINOISCourtesy of Elijah M.
- 12:00 PM: TUSKEGEE, ALABAMACourtesy of Bernice L. Frazier
- 12:37 PM: WASHINGTON, D.C.Courtesy of Mark Byrd
- 12:40 PM: BALTIMORE, MARYLANDCourtesy of Cedric Derrel Gum
- 12:45 PM: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIACourtesy of David DurÃ¡n
- 12:50 PM: CLEVELAND, OHIOCourtesy of Kinsey Roberts
- 12:54 PM: AMERSFOORT, UTRECHT; THE NETHERLANDSCourtesy of Eliane Becks Nininahazwe
- 1:13 PM: HOUSTON, TEXASCourtesy of Luvvie Ajayi
- 2:45 PM: DENVER, COLORADOCourtesy of Davina Conner
- 4:06 PM: PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIACourtesy of Mark A. Davis
- 4:30 PM: WASHINGTON, DCCourtesy of Aaron Burgess
- 6:00 PM: EUGENE, OREGONCourtesy of Kelsang Phunrab
- 6:00 PM: LAS VEGAS, NEVADACourtesy of Deral Takushi (atop ladder): If you lived every day as beautiful as you are on the inside, you will always exude glamour.
- 11:10 PM: JERSEY CITY, NEW JERSEYCourtesy of Timothy Daniels