HuffPost UK Opinion is a dedicated space for reliable, expert commentary and analysis on the day’s biggest talking points.
If you’ve got a unique angle or viewpoint on a news story that will help cut through the noise and keep our audience informed, then we want to hear from you.
Published pieces will generally be around 800 words and all independent writers will be paid for their work.
Politicians, think tanks, organisations and charities will still be able to write for HuffPost UK on a voluntary basis.
We particularly encourage pitches from writers with diverse backgrounds.
Due to the volume of emails we receive, we’re not always able to get back to everyone. But don’t be discouraged – pitch to us again in the future.
Here are some tips to maximise your chances of getting commissioned:
- Subject line – Put ‘PITCH’ and a snappy description of your piece in the subject line so we can see immediately what you’re pitching.
- What’s your argument? In the email body, tell us in a few short bullet points the outline of your piece, why you are the best person to write it, and why it should be published now.
- Don’t double up – If we’ve just published a piece on the Women’s World Cup, we probably won’t want a second one, so have a look at our recently published pieces before pitching.
- Tell us about your experience – Are you a professional writer? Used to working to tight deadlines? Been recognised for your work? Let us know in a short sentence.
- Don’t send fully written pieces – Our editors like to work closely with writers to sculpt pieces before they are published, so don’t put pen to paper until we’ve commissioned you.
- Get your voice out there – Share your published piece on social media and tag us on Twitter at @HuffPostUK.
To pitch to HuffPost UK Opinion, email email@example.com.
If you have a compelling first-person essay you’d like to write, click here or pitch to the UK Personal team at firstname.lastname@example.org.