The show’s former Head Judge has claimed he would be “okay” with the idea if it was “done in a very tasteful way”, but likes the competition “how it was”.
Telling The Sun of how he’d previously judged what he said were called “pink competitions”, Len said: “They were of a very high standard, terrific dancing actually. Somehow whilst you were judging it, you didn’t even notice.
“It wasn’t that one of the men was dressed in a frock or anything, it was done in a very tasteful way. So if it’s done in that way I think it would be okay. But that doesn’t change the fact I’m an old traditionalist.”
Explaining he is used to “traditional ballroom and Latin dancing”, Len continued: “I like it as it was, but everything moves on. If they do it, there’ll be people saying, ‘I’m not going to watch it any more’.
“And if they don’t do it, there’ll be people saying, ‘Well, you’re homophobic’. They can’t win.”
Strictly has faced increasing calls over the last few years to feature dancing pairs compiled of two men or two women, including from judge Craig Revel Horwood.
The BBC previously insisted they had “no plans” to break from what they described as the “longstanding ballroom dancing format of mixed-sex couples”.
However, earlier this month, The Mirror reported that bosses would be introducing a same-sex couple into the competition next year, which prompted a response from a BBC spokesperson, confirming they’re now “completely open” to the idea.
A Strictly rep said: “Strictly Come Dancing is an inclusive show and we are proud to have featured same-sex dancing amongst the professional dancers in group numbers in previous series.
“We are completely open to the prospect of including same-sex pairings between our celebrities and professional dancers in the future, should the opportunity arise.”
Strictly Come Dancing continues on Saturday 21 September on BBC One.