NEWS
26/10/2018 14:38 BST | Updated 26/10/2018 17:45 BST

Oswaldtwistle Takeaway Bosses Guilty Of Manslaughter After Girl, 15, Died Of Allergic Reaction

Megan Lee died just two days after eating curry, despite order alerting staff to allergies.

Handout
Megan Lee died two days after eating a takeaway which contained peanut protein.

Two takeaway bosses face jail after being found guilty of the manslaughter of a 15-year-old girl who died after suffering an allergic reaction.

Mohammed Abdul Kuddus, 40, and Harun Rashid, 38, were found by a jury at Manchester Crown Court to have displayed gross negligence in their responsibilities at the Royal Spice business in Oswaldtwistle, Lancs.

Megan Lee died two days after ordering a takeaway curry on December 30 2016.

Megan’s friend ordered through the Just Eat website and wrote “prawns, nuts” in reference to her allergies in the comments and notes section, but the meal was later found to have the “widespread presence” of peanut protein.

Google Street View
The Royal Spice takeaway has since closed.

Her family were in tears in the public gallery as the verdicts were read out on Thursday afternoon.

Rashid was also found guilty of failing to discharge a general duty of employers, contrary to the Health and Safety at Work Act, and another count of failing to put in place, implement and maintain a permanent procedure or procedures in contravention of European Union food safety regulations.

Judge Mrs Justice Yip bailed both men until November 7, when they and the company will be sentenced. 

Press Association
Harun Rashid (left) and Mohammed Abdul Kuddus arrive at court earlier this week.

She said: “The fact that I am granting bail shouldn’t be taken as any indication there should be a non-custodial sentence.

“You need to prepare yourselves for a custodial sentence.”

In a statement read outside court, Megan’s parents Adam and Gemma Lee said: “Our lives will never be the same. The loss of our beautiful daughter has completely devastated us.

“Megan’s positive presence and infectious smile will forever be missed.

“It breaks our hearts that Megan didn’t get the chance to sit her GCSE exams, something she had worked so incredibly hard for, to celebrate her 16th birthday or go to the school prom with her friends.

“Megan didn’t get the opportunity to fulfil her ambition of working in musical theatre, to explore the world, fall in love or have children of her own.

“It’s these thoughts that cause great sadness, because nobody deserved it more than Megan.”