ENTERTAINMENT
02/09/2020 16:36 BST | Updated 28/09/2020 14:11 BST

Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Announce New Netflix Deal

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be producing new original content that "informs but also gives hope".

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have announced they’ve signed a new deal with Netflix, which will see them producing new content for the streaming giant.

The New York Times reported on Wednesday that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will oversee new “documentaries, docu-series, feature films, scripted shows and children’s programming”, which will debut exclusively on Netflix.

In a statement, the couple said: “Our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.

“As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us.”

zz/KGC-03/STAR MAX/IPx
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, pictured in 2019

They also said that they were specifically hoping to help “share impactful content that unlocks action”, thanks to Netflix’s global platform.

Netflix’s Ted Sarandos said: “We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere.”

Barack and Michelle Obama previously landed a similar deal with Netflix in 2018. 

The Obamas’ production company, Higher Ground Production, has gone on to release the Oscar-nominated film American Factory, as well as documentaries Crip Camp and Becoming, the latter of which served as a companion piece to the former first lady’s autobiography.

It was first reported that Netflix had been hoping to secure a deal with Harry and Meghan back in January, shortly after they announced their intention to take a step back from their royal duties.

Meghan recently lent her voice to the Disney+ original film Elephant, with reports claiming earlier this year that she narrated the nature documentary in exchange for a donation to the charity Elephants Without Borders.