When you’ve forgotten your favorite “Feminist With A To-Do List” tote bag at the grocery store, or need a quick way to pack your kid’s sandwich on-the-go, it’s easy to reach for a plastic baggie. We’ve all been there.
And yet, we all know by now that plastic is pretty bad for the environment. If we keep at the pace we’re going, there will be more plastic in the oceans than fish by 2050. Though that sounds pretty grim, the sustainable steps you take at home can have an important impact (and instill sustainable habits in your little ones who are watching).
Whether it’s purchasing reusable alternatives to paper towels, or investing in an attractive compost bin for your kitchen, there are so many new and innovative alternatives out there to plastic. That’s why there’s no better time than now to take simple steps to reduce your household plastic consumption.
Though some of these sustainable alternatives are a bit more expensive than a box of plastic baggies, they’re long-term investments that’ll save your wallet (and the world) in the long run.
See below for 12 sustainable alternatives to plastic bags:
- 1(re)zip Lay-Flat Lunch Leakproof Reusable Storage BagAmazon
- 2Stasher Reusable Silicone Food BagAmazon
- 3Reusable Produce BagsJet
- 4Zero-Waste Bento BagEtsy
- 5Easy Open Sandwich BagsAmazon
- 6Lekue 1-Liter Fresh BagAmazon
- 7Organic Cotton Grocery Bag with Bottle SleevesAmazon
- 8Linen Bread BagsFood 52
- 9Canvas Market BagsFood 52
- 10Bee's WrapAmazon
- 11Muslin Produce BagsAmazon
- 12Grab BagAmazon
HuffPost may receive a share from purchases made via links on this page.