These easy vanilla cupcakes are so simple to make. Decorate with a swirl of delicious buttercream frosting or as we did today, CHOCOLATE and SPRINKLES!
Less than 30 mins preparation time.
10 to 30 mins cooking time.
Makes 12 small fairy cakes or 9 larger cupcakes.
- 110g/4oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g/4oz self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
For the buttercream icing
- 140g/5oz butter, softened
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- a few drops food colouring
For the chocolate topping
- 85g/3oz unsweetened chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk, adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the food colouring and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the icing using a spiralling motion onto the cup cakes in a large swirl.
- For a chocolate topping, put chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place it over, but not touching some barely simmering water in a saucepan. Stir until the chocolate melts and is smooth. Remove from the water and set aside to cool slightly before spooning onto the cupcakes.
This post originally appeared at www.viewfromadaddy.co.uk