When most people think of the UK they think of London but, believe it or not, if you drive 2 hours in a northward direction there's a whole other world out there that's made up of little towns, life forms and Maryland chicken shops... we call it, the East Midlands.
Situated right in the middle of the country, the East Midlands has played host to an array of wonders from xylophone playing homeless people, to castles, to kings buried under car parks. Even world famous rappers are penning songs about us (R. Kelly's Gotham City was inspired by the Nottinghamshire village right?) See London, we've got this too!
We've got a good thing going, and here are a few more things you'll grow accustomed to if you stick around:
- Becoming acquainted with the Bird man as he wanders through the streets of Leicester, equipped with his bag full of mystery. (Disclaimer: it's probably just full of newspaper)
- The Clock Tower > Taj Mahal
- Talking about Kasabian as if they're your next door neighbours
- "Ay up me duck"- Angelina Jolie (and every East Midlander ever)
- Mourning the xylophone man (who has his own Wiki page) every time you walk past his plaque outside H&M, in Nottingham. I'm sure if he was still around he'd have released an album by now.
- Burying people under car parks.
- Having to take a photo with the Robin Hood statue EVERY time you walk past it, no matter how long you've lived in Nottingham: it's the law.
- Everyone referring to Wollaton Hall as 'Wayne Manor'.
- Realising that Vicky McClure is to Nottingham, what a thigh gap is to Taylor Swift's friends...essential.
- Meeting at the Left Lion in Nottingham's slab square. So if you ever see anyone hanging around there looking on edge, then they're not about to mug you at knife point, they're probably just waiting for a date (I say probably but I cannot guarantee anything, it is Nottingham after all).
- Pointing out Nottingham Castle every time you pass it as if it's the first time you've ever seen it.
- Trying not to commit a mortal wounding at Intu Derby on a Saturday afternoon.
- Staring out over the concrete plains of Market Square at 1am and not knowing if you'll make it across to the other side, but Flares bar is calling so you push on, because dancing to Wannabe till your heels bleed is worth fighting for
- Lastly, remembering that it's a place where legends are created: Gok Wan, Pukka Pie, Jack O'Connell, Gary Lineker, Samantha Morton, Jake Bugg, the Attenborough brothers, Daniel Lambert, Robert Lindsay, Engelbert Humperdinck, Sam Bailey, Torvill and Dean, the list goes on!