With the festive season around the corner, we can all expect office parties and long shopping trips, however, this comes at a cost so don't fall short on your daily skin care routine.
For some, Christmas can result in over indulgence with dining out and late nights. This will play havoc on your skin, causing possible dryness, reddening, dark circles and even acne.
It's therefore important to act now and begin your Christmas skincare regime so you can enjoy the festivities carefree and safe in the knowledge that your skin will remain fresh, rejuvenated and healthy looking.
My six top tips for maintaining the Christmas Glow are:
1. Exfoliate. Don't be afraid to exfoliate your skin during winter. I recommend no more than once a week using a standard exfoliator. Exfoliating will maintain a fresh winter glow to your skin and remove any dead skin cells that may have accumulated due to your late, Christmas nights.
2. Moisturise. Locking in moisture is critical during winter months as your skin will naturally experience sudden temperature changes by moving outdoors - which can dry the skin dramatically. So ensuring skin moisture wherever you go is essential. Slathering your body with body butter also acts as a barrier for any wintry cold blasts
3. H2O overload! Drinking water not only fights the morning after Christmas effect but is a simple way of keeping the skin cells hydrated. This will help the skin to remain plump, smooth and will flush out any toxins which can be a cause of acne. Why not try hot water, lemon and ginger which is also perfect for calming the bowels and digestive system. Remember, your skin can be an indicator of your lifestyle and Christmas is no different!
4. Eat well. Maintaining a healthy diet and eating high antioxidant foods such as berries, nuts and seeds is essential for keeping your skin radiant and glowing over this festive period. Eating plenty of leafy greens and wholegrains will help also boost collagen, keeping the skin firm and wrinkle free. So fill up on those sprouts.
5. Exercise. Regular exercise boosts circulation and nourishes your skin. I would recommend a brisk walk after eating all that turkey as this will bring more blood flow and oxygen to it your skin and help draw toxins out of the body. Plus, all that sweating cleans out the pores of congested skin. If you're acne prone, make sure to keep gentle, fragrance-free cleansing wipes nearby and be sure to cleanse your face and other areas that tend to break out immediately after exercising. Above all, avoid exercising with makeup on your face.
6. Fresh air equals fresh skin. Expose your skin to at least 15 minutes of natural light per day to improve the look and feel of your skin. The UV light will kill most bacteria on the skin as well as increasing the amounts of vitamin D in your body, which has many health benefits aside from great looking skin, it also helps improves your mood and vitality. Another good reason to venture out into those outdoor Christmas Markets.
For further skincare tips follow Seena Seka: @seenaseka or visit www.regenoil.co.uk