Once you've decided you're ready for a baby it can come as a shock if Mother Nature has other ideas. The waiting turns into yearning and the stress levels rise.
I guess that's partly to do with hormones and also to do with feeling so ineffectual. After all there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do, apart from the obvious. Babies do not, unfortunately, come to order and in a world where we are used to controlling most things the lack of control can be hard to get used to.
However, there are things you can do to boost your fertility naturally. And if you still remain sceptical they might at least help you to remain a bit more relaxed while you wait for nature to work her miracles.If you are worried about your fertility it may be a good idea to visit your doctor but using some of these ideas to help yourself is worth doing too, if only to regain a bit of the feeling of being in control. It's also good to get yourself into peak condition should you conceive.
There are things men can do too boost their chances of becoming a father but these tips are aimed at women:
- Diet. Yes, that old chestnut but one that is worth paying attention to not only in terms of healthy eating but also to ensure you're not too overweight or underweight. Some people also swear by an organic-only diet.
- Give up smoking: This is true for both before and after conception and for both sexes. If you don't smoke but your partner does he could be affecting both your fertility.
- Exercise: Aside from helping weight loss, this is also good for stress busting.
- Reduce stress: I hate to include this one as not being able to conceive easily is highly stressful but it does apparently help. Try relaxation tapes, yoga, reflexology and aromatherapy.
- Stop drinking: Government advice is to cut it out if you're trying to conceive, as even drinking moderate amounts can affect your chances.
- Chart your cycle: It helps to know exactly when you're ovulating (and it's not always when you think). This can be done with help from online ovulation tracking tools or you can buy kits from chemists.
- Sexual positions: Get into the right position and you could boost your chances.The missionary position is said to be a good one as it allows for deep penetration, and elevating your hips afterwards is also said to help.
- Avoid caffeine: Government advice states that even two cups of coffee a day can make it harder to get pregnant, so cut this from your diet too.