Too Much Talking On Your Mobile Could Give You Allergies

16/11/2010 10:36 | Updated 22 May 2015

The debate over whether or not mobile phones can damage your brain is far from over, with experts on both sides of the argument failing to come to any kind of agreement. But there may be other dangers involved, especially if you're the type of person who lives on your mobile.

Could you be allergic to your mobile phone?Could you be allergic to your mobile phone? Photo: Stock.xchng, lusi

Chatting endlessly on your phone could trigger an allergic reaction, say experts from the American College of Allergy, Asthma and immunology. The allergy in question is caused by a metal called nickel, which is used to make the outer casing of many phones. And holding yours to your head for long periods at a time could lead to dry, itchy patches on your cheeks, jawline and ears.

Nickel is a common cause of contact allergy - that is, an allergy to a substance that you touch (as opposed to something you breathe in or eat). Experts reckon 17 of men.

And it's not just mobiles that cause the problem. Metal jewellery that's not made from silver, gold or platinum, for instance, or watches or glasses frames can all contain nickel. And while things such as keys, coins and paper clips contain nickel too, they don't usually trigger an allergy because any contact you have with them is usually brief.

Using a cover on your phone, using earphones or switching to a phone that has no metal parts on its surface could help if you do develop a problem.

Is there no end to the substances that cause allergies? Hair dye, for instance, can be extremely dangerous if you develop an allergy to it.

What are you allergic to?

If your mind matters follow us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook


Suggest a correction