Trout is an oily fish, so it's a good source of omega-3. It has a milder flavour than salmon, so it's a good fish to try if children find salmon a little overpowering.
Takes: 30 minutes
You will need:
Sunflower oil, for greasing
1 small rainbow trout, filleted and pin bones removed
6 thin slices fresh ginger
1tsp soy sauce
1tsp rice wine vinegar
For the dressing:
1tbsp sunflower oil
2 spring onions, finely chopped
½ tsp grated fresh ginger
1tsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
½ tsp sesame oil
½ tsp clear honey
What to do:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6, with a baking sheet in the oven.
2. Cut two large pieces of foil or baking parchment and grease with sunflower oil. Lay the fish fillets on the foil/parchment and place three slices of ginger on each one.
3. Mix the soy sauce, vinegar and water together and spoon over the fish. Wrap the foil/parchment to form a parcel, scrunching the foil or using metal paper clips to help secure the parchment. Put on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the sunflower oil in a small frying pan. Add the onions and ginger and when they start to sizzle, take the frying pan off the heat and set aside.
5. Unwrap the fish parcels and remove the ginger. Transfer the fish to the plates using a fish slice or palette knife, sliding it between the fish and the skin to remove the skin from the cooked fish.
6. Pour any juices left in the foil/parchment into the frying pan, then add the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and honey. Stir together, then spoon over the fish and serve immediately.
Filleted trout will often have pin bones and these must be removed for children. This is very easy to do. Run your finger down the flesh side of the fillet – you will feel the bin bones. You can easily pluck them out using a pair of tweezers.
Recipe taken from Annabel Karmel's new book, Top 100 Meals in Minutes, £9.99 from Ebury Press (available from 25th August).
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more