Claire, from Coventry, West Midlands, was just about to put the fresh Huggies nappy on her little girl when she spotted the piece of wood.
She told The Sun: "I had a closer look and realised it was like a stick, a big long piece of wood that was sharp at both ends. It looked like a toothpick. I was furious - it could have done some serious damage."
The horrified mum added that as Peyton is running around a lot, she often changed her standing up, but on this occasion she was lying down and so the splinter was spotted - Claire says that otherwise, she would have probably missed it.
She complained to the makers, Kimberley-Clark, who offered her a voucher for £20 by way of compensation, but the worried mum said she would not be buying Huggies again and wanted to make sure this kind of thing did not happen to other parents.
A Kimberley-Clark spokesperson said: "We have been in contact with Claire Swinburn following her discovery of an unidentified material in a Huggies nappy. As is standard procedure, we have asked for samples from her, and when we have them we will carry out a thorough investigation into what has happened. As a responsible manufacturer, the safety and well-being of our customers is a priority."
Yesterday it was needles in Turkey Drummers and now splinters in nappies!
Do stories like these make you extra vigilant with everything you give to or use on your kids?
More:Advice And Health
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more