Actress Nicollette Sheridan has been dealt a huge blow in her ongoing lawsuit against Desperate Housewives bosses and series creator Marc Cherry - a Los Angeles judge has dismissed the battery allegations at the centre of her claim for damages.
Sheridan filed suit in 2010, alleging she was fired from the show after she complained to ABC network executives about an on-set incident with Cherry in 2008, which ended with the writer/producer hitting her on the head to demonstrate an action in a scene.
Testifying in court last week Cherry confessed he had felt awful about striking Sheridan, but explained that he was just acting out what he wanted for a particular shot. He also told the jury that the decision to kill off her character Edie Britt had been made months before the incident.
On Tuesday, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Elizabeth Allen White issued a direct ruling to dismiss the battery claim due to a lack of evidence. The verdict means Cherry is no longer a defendant, and the case is now solely between Sheridan and ABC network bosses.
Addressing reporters after the ruling, Cherry said, "Obviously I'm thrilled by the judge's decision. But I'm going to withhold further comment until this matter is resolved completely."
The decision wasn't the only shocker in Tuesday's court proceedings - a surprise witness testified that TV bosses planned to delete all correspondence about Sheridan's firing from production computers.
Sheridan is suing for $6 million (£3.75 million). Closing arguments are expected to begin on Tuesday afternoon, after which the case will be turned over to the jury for deliberations.
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more