It's an all-in-one sponge recipe, which by-passes the need to cream the butter and sugar.
I've included a super-indulgent filling of fresh whipped cream, but if you wanted it to have a little more shelf-life you could always use butter cream instead.
For the sponge
200g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
200g softened butter
4 eggs, beaten
200g self-raising flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
For the filling
1 jar good quality raspberry jam
300ml whipping cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Line two x 20cm cake tins.
2. Pop all your sponge ingredients in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Divide the batter between the two tins (for a truly even match weigh each tin to ensure they're the same). Smooth the surface of each cake over with a spatula before baking in the oven for approx 20 minutes until golden. When you touch the surface of the cake with your fingers, it should spring back.
4. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Turn one of the sponge cakes over and spread evenly with a thick layer of raspberry jam, making sure you get it right to the edges.
6. Whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla extract until fluffy and then smooth evenly over the top of the layer of jam.
7. Scatter the top of the cream with the blueberries. Spread a thinner layer of jam on the underside of the other sponge and then place on top of the blueberries.
8. Dust the top liberally with caster sugar and then serve.
Make sure your butter, milk and eggs are room temperature before you start. If you've not got your butter out in time, cut it into cubes and place it in a bowl of tepid water for a few minutes then drain.
Store the cake in the fridge and eat on the day. If you're making in advance of a party make the sponge and freeze, or make a day or two before and keep in a tightly sealed container and fill on the day.
More on Parentdish: Easy peasy chocolate fudge cake
Click on the banner below for more summer fun:
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more