Mum Weeps In Court As She Tells Of Daughter's Carbon Monoxide Death

06/07/2012 11:53 | Updated 22 May 2015
Mum weeps in court as she tells of daughter's carbon monoxide deathPA

A mum has told an inquest of the events leading up to the death of her six-year-old daughter during a family camping trip.

Isabelle Harris died from carbon monoxide poisoning after a barbecue was brought into the family's tent to keep her warm.

Her parents, Lee, 30 and Tracey, 40, used the barbecue to heat up the tent as temperatures plummeted over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend.

They had no idea the fumes from the barbecue - which they had earlier used to cook their evening meal - were gassing the little girl.

Devastated mum Tracey from Gosport, Hants, cried as she told the inquest she had bent over her daughter to give her a kiss and realised she did not 'look right'.

"When I looked at her she just didn't look right. She had her hair over her face - I just knew she wasn't right," she told the court.

Lee, who had taken his family on the break to the New Forest for Tracey's birthday, attempted to revive Isabelle with CPR, but the little girl suffered a cardiac arrest in an ambulance.

Bournemouth coroner Sheriff Payne recorded a verdict of accidental death. A post mortem confirmed Isabelle died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Her dad admitted he had not read the safety instructions on the barbecue and said in a statement: "We hope Isabelle's death will act as a warning about the dangers."

What a tragic story. Such a heartbreaking time for this poor family.

Suggest a correction