About Bubble and Squeak
Even the most simple, basic veg tastes fantastic in bubble and squeak. These easy-to-make fritters are a fantastic way to use up leftover veggies, or you can make from scratch and use fresh greens - perfect in the summer months.
Recipe rating: 5.0 stars
Olive oil: 2-3tbsp
Half an onion
Potatoes: 450g, cooked and mashed
Brussels Sprouts: 225g
Dried, mixed herbs: 1/2 tsp
Eggs: 2, beaten
Freshly ground black pepper: A dash, to tate
- 1. Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion over a low heat for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- 2. Put the mashed potato and sprouts in a bowl and stir. Add the cooked onion, herbs and eggs, season with black pepper, and mix well.
- 3. Put a further one tablespoon of the oil in the frying pan and warm over a medium heat.
- 4. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture for about 6-8 minutes, turning once using a fish slice, until lightly browned on both sides. (You may need to cook in batches).
- 5. Serve immediately with a handful of grilled cherry tomatoes and any leftover cold meat.
- Recipe from Ella's Kitchen - the cook book, out now.