Sir Elton John has had his appendix removed and is recovering well at home, his publicist has confirmed.
The star was forced to pull out of a series of shows after being diagnosed with appendicitis last month.
He underwent the operation at Monaco's Princess Grace Hospital on Thursday and is understood to be recuperating at his home in Nice, France.
Last month the veteran musician said he felt "grateful to be alive", revealing that he could have died at any time while struggling through his European tour unaware he was suffering from the condition.
Sir Elton, 66, told The Sun: "I was a ticking time bomb. I guess I could have died at any time. I feel so lucky and grateful to be alive."
The chart star said he performed 10 concerts in pain, which he had thought was due to food poisoning, but was finally forced to walk off stage during a concert in Halle, Germany, on July 5.
Doctors advised him to cancel all the dates on his current tour, including a headline performance at London's Hyde Park last month.
A statement on behalf of the singer said he had been diagnosed with an "appendix abscess surrounding retrocaecal appendicitis".
He is expected to be well enough to attend an event in central London on September 2 at which he will perform and welcome a number of guests.
The Rocket Man and Your Song star is to be the first to be handed the Brits Icon Award.
Also on HuffPost:
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more