An Oxford student killed himself with a cocktail of chemicals he had mixed together.
Andrew Kirkman, 20, was found dead in a tent in a field in Oxford on Sunday just hours after breaking from his studies for Christmas.
Andrew, who was in his second year at Balliol, was found by a walker. It is thought he died after making hydrogen sulphide gas.
Six other people were also treated for exposure to dangerous fumes after the discovery of his body led to a chemical alert.
A friend of the tragic student said last night that he had told her just a few week ago that he was having a 'rough time'.
Daneille Bethel, 19, told the Daily Mail: "I messaged Andrew on Facebook a few weeks ago and asked how he was getting on at Oxford. He replied that he was having a rough time. I asked if there was anything I could do to help but he didn't reply."
The devastated girl added: He had a brilliant mind and so much potential to do something amazing. I can't believe he has gone. He was just incredibly smart."
Andrew had previously tweeted about exam worries, telling a friend back in May: 'I feel ok but there's a very real chance I'll fail all of mine.'
His heartbroken mum and dad, Wendy and Michael, issued a statement through the university last night, and paid tribute to their 'friendly and thoughtful' son.
"Andy was loved by everyone who knew him. He was a kind young man who took great pleasure in helping other people. He will be sorely missed."
A police spokesman said said there were no suspicious circumstances and officers were treating the death as unexplained.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more