A baby boy was born DRUNK after surgeons performed an emergency Caesarean on his mother, who collapsed while trying to buy drink at an off-licence.
The paralytic 24-year-old woman collapsed at the store in Tomaszow, Poland, when paramedics were called.
Hospital spokesman Wojciech Zawalski said: "The unborn baby was in severe danger of being poisoned to death.
"When he came out his heart was barely beating and he had 4.5g of alcohol in his blood."
The blood-alcohol limit for drivers in Poland is 0.2g, meaning the infant was born at nearly 23 times the drink-drive limit.
The baby, who was two weeks premature, is recovering in an intensive care incubator where he is being weaned off alcohol.
Police and prosecutors are now quizzing the mother over charges of endangering the life of an unborn child.
"The matter is under investigation," said a police spokesman.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more