A boy miraculously survived a poisonous snake bite after he was given a record-breaking 80 life-saving anti-venom vials.
Benjamin Smith, 11, was bitten in Florida by North America's largest venomous snake and now he plans to keep its skin to commemorate his victory.
He was running through woods at a friend's birthday party when he felt a sharp pain 'like a knife' had sliced through his leg. When he looked down, he saw the five-foot poisonous rattlesnake shaking its tail.
Luckily he managed to get away from the snake before it could strike a second time.
Benjamin's friends and big sister came to his aid and carried him to safety before he was rushed to University of Florida Health Shands Hospital.
Doctors gave him around 80 vials of anti-venom – believed by doctors to be a new record. Most venomous snakebites require between four and ten vials of anti-venom.
His mum, Heather, said he was lucky to be alive. She said: "He is pretty much back to normal. Now he just needs to go for physical therapy on his leg.
"We have had a huge outpouring of prayers. The community has been extremely supportive."
After the attack, Benjamin's friend, the birthday boy, and his father hunted down the snake and killed it.
They gave it to Benjamin who is now deciding what to do with the snake as it is being preserved. He toyed with the idea of turning it into a wallet but taxidermists say it would not hold up well.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more