Boy, 3, Killed By Falling Screen In Restaurant In China

14/08/2014 16:48 | Updated 22 May 2015
Boy, 3, killed by falling screen in restaurant in China

A three-year-old British boy has died after being hit by a dividing screen in a Shanghai restaurant.

The boy had been dining at the Turkish restaurant with his mother and father and family friends when he was 'struck by a screen that fell', according to the Shanghai Daily newspaper.

"Witnesses said the boy may have accidentally touched the screen before it fell on him," the newspaper reported.

"Screens are sometimes used by restaurants to divide dining areas."

The death of a British national in Shanghai was confirmed by the UK consulate in the city, a report in the Telegraph said.

The report said the little boy had been 'rushed away for treatment', but a doctor from Shanghai's Huangpu District Central Hospital said he 'did not have a heartbeat' when he was brought in last night.

An employee at the restaurant today confirmed the incident, and said the boy's mother was nearby when it happened, but did not elaborate further.
Suggest a correction