A seven-year-old boy has died from severe burns after playing with a can of petrol with friends.
Preston Flores was found on fire in the street by neighbours in Aberdeen at about 2pm on Friday.
He suffered 70 per cent burns from the flames after a group of children allegedly took a can of petrol from the back of an Aberdeen council van near his home.
Preston was taken to hospital in Aberdeen before being transferred to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh. He died this morning (Tuesday).
In a statement his mother, Luisza, said his death has 'ripped our family apart'.
She said: "Preston's family want to inform the public that their precious little boy has passed away and is at rest.
"He meant the world to his family and will always be deeply missed and loved. Preston was a special little boy and his loss has ripped our family apart.
"On behalf of our family I would like to thank everyone for their support but would ask that we are now allowed to grieve in peace for Preston."
Police said a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal in due course as is usual procedure.
Detective Inspector Lorna Ferguson, of Police Scotland, said: "Our thoughts are with Preston's family, friends and the Bedford community at this sad time."
Preston, who was a pupil at Sunnybank School in Aberdeen, was described by the acting headteacher, Michelle McKay, as a 'lively and competitive little boy who loved football, PE and all sorts of outdoor activities, as well as board games, baking and building with Lego'.
He said: "He was a fun-loving boy with a great sense of humour and lots of friends. He loved his family too, and was always sharing with us the latest news about his new baby brother.
"This is a tragic time for his family, for the school and for everyone connected to it. We are all so saddened by what has happened. "This is a strong and close-knit community, however, and so we are all supporting each other and I am sure that, together, we will find ways of coming to terms with our loss."