This one-pot wonder is a classic rice-based dish packed with chicken, prawns and spicy sausage.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time:1 hourServes : 4-6
500g bone-in chicken pieces (such as thighs)
250g cooking chorizo, sliced thickly
250g cooked prawns
1 onion, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 scotch bonnet chilli, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
500g easy cook American-style rice
1 can chopped tomatoes
700ml chicken stock
For the garnish:
Fresh chopped parsley
Fresh finely chopped spring onions
1. Heat a little oil in the largest pan you have and brown the chicken pieces well all over, then remove and set aside.
2. Add the chorizo slices and when the oil has started to leach out and they are turning crisp, add the onions, peppers and celery. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are starting to colour.
3. Add the garlic, chilli, thyme and oregano and keep cooking, stirring for a couple of minutes. Add the chicken pieces back, followed by the stock, tomatoes and some salt and pepper. Bring to simmer then turn on to a low heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. After this time, add the rice and stir well. Put the lid back on and cook on a very low heat for 30 minutes. When the stock is almost all absorbed (it should still be slightly wet), stir through the prawns and allow them to re-heat for a few minutes.
5. Serve sprinkled generously with chopped parsley, spring onions and lemon wedges.