Contact Lens Parasite Ate Into Teenager's Eyeball

14/08/2014 16:48 | Updated 22 May 2015
Contact lens parasite ate into teenager's eyeball

Here's a hideous warning for all those of us who try and eke out our lens wearing to save money. Teenager Ashley Hyde could have gone blind after a parasite grew on her contact lens and began eating through her cornea.

The 18-year-old had to endure a procedure when an optician drilled into her eye.

Scrapings from her eyeball were also taken as medical staff tried to find out why her left eye was left inflamed.

Doctors discovered Hyde, 18, had an acanthamoeba infection, reported.

Acanthamoeba is a microscopic parasite found in water and soil that can spread through contact lens use, cuts, or skin wounds or by being inhaled into the lungs.

The parasite left the teen from Pembroke Pines, Florida, with blurred vision and repeated visits to the optician.

"They did multiple cultures where they scrape your eye," she said. "One time, they had to drill into my eye. It was really nasty."

Ashley has been told she must undergo months of treatment.

Dr. Adam Clarin, an optometric physician, said contact users should try to change their lenses daily.

"There is nothing safer or healthier than throwing out the lens every day and starting with a new one the next day," said Clarin.

"Every day, we see people come in with contact lens related to infections, complications, ulcers."


Suggest a correction