A narrative verdict has been recorded at the inquest into the death of a dad-of-one who died after suffering an allergic reaction to his wife's cooking.
Marcus Sweet collapsed and died after eating a homemade curry, prepared by his wife Julie, 49, in November, 2011.
Mr Sweet, 46, had tasted a small amount of the coconut cream Julie was adding to the Indian dish while she was still preparing the meal.
The Express reports that within minutes of tasting it, he complained of a sore throat.
His wife called an ambulance when he began to develop breathing difficulties. She told the coroner that he began to look 'a little bit clammy and a bit different' and that she was scared.
When paramedics arrived on the scene they found Mr Sweet was turning blue and his airways closing. His family accused the first responder to the emergency of 'failing to act properly to save his life' .
They claimed that paramedic Vic Ward 'just sat there'. Mr Ward admitted to the court that it was 'possibly one of the worst incidents' he had attended in 30 years of work and said he was 'a bit like a rabbit in headlights for a couple of minutes'.
Other paramedics later arrived, but Mr Sweet suffered a cardiac arrest and died.
The inquest at Flax Bourton, Bristol, was told that Mr Sweet suffered from an undiagnosed heart condition.
Paramedic Mr Ward was initially suspended but is now back at work after undergoing extra training.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more