Perfect for a dessert with a difference or stick a lid on and give as gifts - it seals in the moisture so will last seven days.
Serves: 8 (approx)
Ingredients: For the sponge
Thinly-sliced Unsalted butter, soft: 125g
Caster sugar: 125g
Self-raising flour: 150g
Ingredients: For the frosting
Thinly-sliced Unsalted butter, soft: 250g
Icing sugar : 500g
Milk: 1 tbsp
Gel food colouring
Ingredients: To decorate
Small jam jars with lids : 8, washed and dried
- 1. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4, grease and line a 20cm cake tin. In a mixer combine the butter and sugar. Once this is pale and fluffy, add the eggs one by one.
- 2. Add the flour, and once this has all mixed up spoon into the cake tin and bake for 25 minutes. Once the cake is firm but springy to the touch, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- 3. In a bowl combine the butter with the icing sugar and milk, and once this has mixed well and become fluffy divide into three equal portions and mix through the different food colourings, building up the desired shades gradually.
- 4. Get ready to assemble! Put out your jars, making sure they've been scrubbed clean to within an inch of their lives.
- 5. Break your cake into crumbs in a bowl - use a blender/processor if you have one. Put each icing shade into disposable piping bags with nozzles of your choice and your sprinkles at the ready.
- 6. Start with a layer of cake, pipe in a layer of icing right to the edges, then repeat until you end up with a layer of icing just under the level of the top of your jar. Add sprinkles. Seal your jar with a lid.