Four-Year-Old Died After Eating Poisonous Mushrooms

14/08/2014 16:53 | Updated 22 May 2015

Four-year-old died after eating poisonous mushrooms picked by her mum

Parents have been warned about the dangers of foraging for food after a four-year-old girl died after eating poisonous mushrooms apparently picked by her mum.

The girl was rushed to hospital in Russia but doctors were unable to save her as she had suffered irreversible kidney damage.

The news agency Pravda reported claims that the girl's mum 'likely handpicked' the mushrooms and her parents only asked for help three days after the first symptoms of poisoning began to kick in.

Police filed an investigation into the death, which happened in the town of Orsk in the Orenburg region.

It is not yet known what type of mushrooms the girl ingested but in the past UK health bosses have warned it is easy to mix up toxic and non-toxic types.

Some poisonous mushrooms can cause sickness and severe cramps when eaten but others can be fatal.

British chef Mark Lloyd told the Mirror: "A lot of these mushrooms look very very similar but there are distinguishing marks between them.

"The fundamental rule is if you don't know what it is then don't eat it."

Suggest a correction