A teenage girl had to go on a drip and missed three weeks of school after suffering 'excruciating' burns because of just two sessions of 10 minutes on a sunbed.
The 15-year-old developed agonising blisters to her chest, back, legs and face and was unable to walk or leave her bed for days during her recovery afterwards.
The girl said: "The pain was ten out of ten. It was unbearable and I could not walk or get out of bed. It was excruciating."
Now the sunbed owner, Stewart Hall, has become one of the first to be prosecuted under sunbed safety legislation for youngsters.
The 43-year-old was fined £500 and ordered to pay £1,500 after he admitted three charges under the Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010.
The girl used the bed at the Olympic Power Mill gym, twice in two days in May last year – paying £10 for the 10-minute sessions, Bury magistrates were told.
She had not used a sunbed before, was not asked to prove her age or given protective goggles.
The girl also received no safety instructions during her visits with a friend, who was allowed to sit in the same 'restricted zone' containing the sunbed.
Two days later, her skin began to blister and she was taken to North Manchester General Hospital.
Hall's solicitor, Chelsea Thomas, said the teenager told him she was 18 and he did not ask for proof or issue guidance because he 'thought she knew what to do'.
The teen's mother, 40, said: "I do not want this to happen to another child. I want to raise awareness of the issue. She was in agony and could barely walk.
"It was horrible to see. The law is there for a good reason. "She told us that she was going to the gym and we did not think anything of it, until she came home looking so red."
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more