Eating soup for lunch? Gloomily discussing the fact it's getting dark at 4pm? Then guess what - wherever you are, Autumn is there too! It's chilly, it's central heated, it's drowning in soup. But do you know where Autumn always looks great? TV and film. So here's how to do the season as they do it on the big/small screen - we're almost certain this is how to get through the next month...
1. Forgot sexy and be prim. Being saucy in Autumn is difficult because, well, it's cold and if you're wearing a super sexy dress chances are you'd rather keep your coat on and the heat in. So invest in a fluffy cardigan a la Winona Ryder in Mermaids. She looks happy and warm, no?
2. Brooches aren't granny but elegant and chic. Not glorified badges but glorious pins of honour that say "I can accessorise like a grown-up woman". Team them with a real waist-cinching, hourglass-hugging number a la Romola Garai in The Hour. Doesn't she look magnificent?
3. Lounging about? A big shirt is cosy but doesn't suffocate in the way a jumper can, pre-sub-zero temperature. Just look at Sienna Miller in Alfie - doesn't she look cool AND comfy? Yes, yes she does. Blue paint and cigarette optional; mussed hair, mandatory.
4. If you're not ready to dig out the 50 deniers, you have to pair your bare leg with a Winter coat. Only then will you have a suitably Autumn look. Don't be that girl in a wee jacket with bare legs - you'll make everyone else cold just by looking at you. Be inspired by Anne Hathaway in Devil Wears Prada - perfect trans-seasonal look.
5. Not found the dream winter coat yet? Don't stress, just layer up a la Ramona Flowers in Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Fine knit + hoodie + jacket = smart Autumn combo.
6. You can't go wrong with a mac to get that smart, pulled together look. Take Zooey Deschanel at the end 500 Days Of Summer - it moves her from kooky to super chic just like that.
7. Tiaras aren't just for girls in teeny summer dresses celebrating their 21st birthdays - they add just the right amount of sparkle to an autumn evening outfit. Do as Dame Maggie Smith did in Gosford Park and wear with a bemused twinkle.
8. A fur coat/fake fur coat plus enthusiastically applied black eyeliner is something no-one can argue with. It's the essence of Margot Tenenbaum, hence a massive style triumph. See?
9. Jumping/dancing on your bed in a thermal vest to keep warm/fit is a far more exhilarating way to stay in shape. Who wants to be in those cold gym changing rooms? Uh, not us. Look how happy Kirsten Dunst circa Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind looks - that could be you...
10. On those sunshiny, crisp days, tie your hair up in a scarf and throw on a pair of cat-eye sunglasses. This is devil-may-care accessorising a la Audrey Tatou in Amelie AKA perfect.
PS... One last thing, and perhaps the most important rule of autumn we've learned via film and TV. If anyone tries to tell you to ditch your tea and take off your coat in the morning before you're ready - when the office is still freezing, for God's sake - give them the Olivia Pope Scandal face. They won't try that nonsense again in a hurry, trust us.